Comments on Unreal City

This is an off-topic forum for general discussion of plots, stories, films, roleplaying games and long quotes from stuff

Moderators: Findtherma, Lars Gimletscousin

Comments on Unreal City

Postby Findtherma » November 8th, 2006, 12:47 pm

Please post any comments or questions you have here.

Also let me know if you'd like me to post the rest of the continuing adventures of the Elementals.

J
Last edited by Findtherma on November 12th, 2006, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
“When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews, You are talking anti-Semitism.” -Martin Luther King Jr
Findtherma
Captain
Captain

Postby Findtherma » November 9th, 2006, 1:09 pm

What, nobody?

Come on guys, even criticism is welcome.

J
“When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews, You are talking anti-Semitism.” -Martin Luther King Jr
Findtherma
Captain
Captain

Postby Findtherma » November 12th, 2006, 1:09 am

Is absolutely nobody interested in this at all?

J
Findtherma
Captain
Captain

Postby Pretty_Blossom » November 12th, 2006, 7:21 am

It's like this - I'm not an RPG fanatic (I know what it is and it's nice and all, but that's about it), and I don' know the specific world u're playing. This is why I can't get interested in the story. The character sheets are boring, and they don't invite anybody to read on.
A good story (for me), wouldn't start by giving me a lot of info. I'd rather discuver the background stories of everybody in the regular course of the story. I should also add that stories told from multipul points of view are usually harder to follow.
The strongest example I have is Roger Zelazney's Amber, where the main character starts the story with amnezia and has to discover a whole world and also everything about himself along with the reader. It's a bit extreem, though, and u can just as easily pull off something with the main character/s knowing who and what they are. Still - nothing is more repulsive than a Glossary at the begining of a book. Take Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time for example - the first book is in a fantasy world different than this one, so he makes sure the characters think or talk about the really different consepts. The later books are less clear because u have to knw a lot of stuff, which he puts at the end of the book for people who haven't read the first one.

This is my opinion and the reason I don't really get into RPG summaries, but it's probably a personal thing and doesn't apply to why others don't read it.
Yasmin ;-)

Istanzia

"I have boobs, you must obay"
Pretty_Blossom
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby Findtherma » November 12th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Its obvious RPG transcripts aren't really your thing, but thanks for clicking on the thread and taking a look. I've been watching the View count and so far you're actually the only one to take a look. Maybe a new Title?

I understand what you mean, but this isn't a book, its a transcript of the game we played. So introduceing the character's backstories during the course of the story is not really an option as the players already know them and don't need me telling them what they already know. However you don't need to read the character backgrounds, you could always skip to where the story starts.

Perhaps it'd help if I stuck the glossary at the end instead of the begining?

As for the world its set in, its our world, with slight diferances, such as monsters exist. So you should be pretty familliar with that.

Anyway thanks for your opinion.

J
Findtherma
Captain
Captain

Return to Storyboard