Individual: Strange Tails

This is an off-topic forum for general discussion of plots, stories, films, roleplaying games and long quotes from stuff

Moderators: Findtherma, Lars Gimletscousin

Individual: Strange Tails

Postby wizzard » May 19th, 2006, 12:50 pm

"They call me Jack. It makes them feel easier I guess. They don't know my real name. They'd probably think I was some sort of snob if I told them. Well, most of them anyway. There are always a few who'd still look down on me. I always hated them anyway. They'd probably wonder why I turned my back on my family and started working as a private detective after getting a first class masters degree from a respected university. Still, my parents also wonder about it I guess. No one really understands me.

Jones has given me another one. This one is called Avery, or at least that is the latest alias he is using. Sometimes I wonder what it is all about. There's something odd about all of them. I can't put my finger on it. Mind you, there's something pretty odd about Jones too. I'm sure Jones isn't his real name, and I'm pretty sure he knows that I know that, but he doesn't care. He doesn't really seem to care about much. He is too sleek and in control of everything - I don't like him. I can't complain though, it is easy work and he always pays on time.
Last edited by wizzard on May 21st, 2006, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Postby wizzard » May 21st, 2006, 9:48 pm

Avery is taking a long time in this pharmacy. He's a real weirdo. Seems to go to 2 or 3 different pharmacies every day and walk out with a small packet from each one. I think he must be stockpiling something, something that there is a limit on how much pharmacies will sell in a day, but I'm not going to risk getting close enough to try to see what, at least at the moment. Maybe he's just crazy. Maybe they all are. It would explain a lot.

What's taking so long? It isn't that busy. Maybe I should go and see... no, here he is. Must have taken them time to find it for him this time. Okay, come on Avery - same drill as yesterday and every other day for the past week - time to walk home.

Why am I bothering to record such trivial details on my digital recorder? I don't know - maybe I'm just bored. That's the problem with work like this - it is easy and it pays the bills but nothing interesting ever happens. I end up describing every detail, which gets pointless.

A bus goes past, momentarily blocking my view of him, and there's a sudden gust of wind, which strikes me as a bit odd - it is a very calm day. The bus drives off and..."

...and that's where the recording ended. I'd stopped the tape there and got out of the car to take a look around because I couldn't believe what had just happened. There was no possible way he had got on the bus, and there was nowhere else he could have gone, but Avery wasn't there when the bus had gone past. I'd listened to the tape 3 times now, and I wasn't looking forward to trying to explain to Jones how I'd lost Avery. No doubt he'd think I was making it up, or possibly that I'd gone insane. I wondered whether to tell him the truth or not.
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Postby wizzard » May 27th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Jones took it a lot better than I'd expected. It was weird, really, as though he'd almost been expecting it to happen. This wasn't the first time that I was suspicious that there was more going on here than met the eye. He told me not to worry about it and he gave me another one to track. He seemed pretty eager that I should get on with the next one and it struck me as very odd that he didn't want me to spend another couple of days going after Avery. Still, it was his money to spend, so I wasn't going argue too much.

The next one was called Smith. Again. This was the third Smith that I had to track. I know that it is a common name, but I was beginning to feel that a lot of the names I was given were quite common names. Perhaps they were all aliases, and all these people were pretty unimaginative, but I had a feeling that there was more to it than that. On the other hand, it was still easy money, and I didn't really have much better to do.
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Return to Storyboard