Comments on: Diary of a Quitting Smoker...

This is an off-topic forum for general discussion of plots, stories, films, roleplaying games and long quotes from stuff

Moderators: Findtherma, Lars Gimletscousin

Comments on: Diary of a Quitting Smoker...

Postby kyuudousha » September 8th, 2005, 2:38 pm

Sorry Wizz and thanks for your support and please don't take offence as none is intended.

I wanted to write down what it is like to go through giving up as a sort of theraputic measure for me really. I read somewhere that you should write a diary of when you smoke and what triggered your wanting to smoke etc.

I just thought it would help to look back over it from time to time to see when the difficult times were and so on. Then I thought that if I make it public (but in an internet forum, faceless sort of way :wink: ) it would make me even more determined not to fail this time.

I would rather people didn't write "Well done" and "go for it" and stuff like that because that isn't what this thread it is about. If you wanna ask questions though or have any tips then I'd be happy for them...

Kyu
:lol: Cuius testiculous habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum
kyuudousha
Lance-Corporal
Lance-Corporal

Postby NorkNork » September 8th, 2005, 3:26 pm

I don't know whether this actually works, but i read it in several places...... a lot of the addiction to smoking also depends on the habits, not only the tobacco/nicotine. So all the things you do with your hands before and while having a smoke, like tapping the fag on your hands, flicking it in your fingers, fiddling with the lighter, and the way you hold it while smoking all become habits that you might start missing when you stop smoking - that's also part of the reason why people who are trying to stop sometimes get twitchy. It's supposed to help that when you're at home, watching TV or reading or whatever - at times when you would normnally just have a quiet smoke - you should pretend to smoke - ie do all the motions you would do if you smoked, only without the cigarettes and the lighter. This makes you calm down. After a while, when the tobacco addiction has cooled down, you won't need these habits anymore.

As i said, I don't know whether this works, but it might be worth a try, don't you think?
NorkNork
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Re: Comments on: Diary of a Quitting Smoker...

Postby wizzard » September 8th, 2005, 4:59 pm

kyuudousha wrote:Sorry Wizz and thanks for your support and please don't take offence as none is intended.

OK, no problem - I had wondered whether to interrupt your diary, but I decided that I wanted to show my support. This is a better idea though.

Martin
If you are interested in programming, take a look at my blog.
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Postby kyuudousha » September 9th, 2005, 7:11 am

NorkNork wrote:I don't know whether this actually works, but i read it in several places...... a lot of the addiction to smoking also depends on the habits, not only the tobacco/nicotine. So all the things you do with your hands before and while having a smoke, like tapping the fag on your hands, flicking it in your fingers, fiddling with the lighter, and the way you hold it while smoking all become habits that you might start missing when you stop smoking - that's also part of the reason why people who are trying to stop sometimes get twitchy. It's supposed to help that when you're at home, watching TV or reading or whatever - at times when you would normnally just have a quiet smoke - you should pretend to smoke - ie do all the motions you would do if you smoked, only without the cigarettes and the lighter. This makes you calm down. After a while, when the tobacco addiction has cooled down, you won't need these habits anymore.

As i said, I don't know whether this works, but it might be worth a try, don't you think?

I think you're right.

The trouble with smoking in my opinion is not really the physical dependence on Nicotine but the psychological dependence. For instance, I know that the nicotine is out of your system within a couple of days but the craving never really goes away. Why is that?

I have set smoke times that break up my day: 8ish, 9ish, 11ish, lunchtime (beginning), lunchtime (end), 3ish and the ones on the way home (and on the way in sorry). The bit I'm not looking forward to is the drive home. An hour in the car through rush hour traffic in Leeds. Deep joy. I know at exactly what points on my journey to light up each cigarette (I'll have three in that hour) so that I'll be finished in time to make sure I can get the next one in and so on before I get home. As I pass these mile stones I can feel the cravings start to set in. Interestingly enough when I drive with my daughter in the car I don't suffer with any of these cravings. At guess my feelings for her far outweigh my bodies, or minds, need for the cancer stick. I wonder if the wife would let me bring her to work…

Smoking in the evening doesn't worry me so much as the wife doesn't smoke. I generally only have one or two depending on what kind of day I've had. if I go out for a beer I could probably get through 10 or more, no worries.

Didn't realise I smoked that many.
kyuudousha
Lance-Corporal
Lance-Corporal

Postby binky » September 9th, 2005, 11:37 am

As an ex smoker i really do understand how strong you have to be to quit.
I found the best way to do it was cold turkey all these patches and gum just prolong the agony. Your body actually stops craveing the nicotine after about 2 days after that its just habit and your mind craveing cigerettes and that is the hardest part.
Try bribing yourself, put the money you would spend on fags in a tin and at the end of the week treat yourself to a book, or dvd that you want or better still treat your wife and child to something that way you actually see the benifit not smokeing has on the ones you love.
And lastly if you relapes dont beat yourself up or decide you failed and start smoking again just notch it up to experiance and carry on then day as if you'd not smoked.

Good luck :D
binky
Recruit
Recruit

Postby kyuudousha » September 9th, 2005, 11:50 am

:oops: see diary for today....

Thanks, will keep going though. :( Will give it a couple of days and buy the wife some flowers. That always cheers her up, and if she's happy, so am I. Actually it probably means more the other way round. If she's unhappy she makes bloomin sure that I'm unhappy aswell... :D
kyuudousha
Lance-Corporal
Lance-Corporal

Postby binky » September 9th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Thats what wives are there for :D Keep it up if i can do it so can you!
binky
Recruit
Recruit

Postby kyuudousha » September 9th, 2005, 2:17 pm

binky wrote:Thats what wives are there for :D Keep it up if i can do it so can you!

I won't give up! Erm, giving up that is...

I will give up!

:shock:
kyuudousha
Lance-Corporal
Lance-Corporal

Postby morticia » October 18th, 2005, 10:43 am

That was then...so how is it going now???
I tried this week to quit. I was in a foul mood but managed from monday til friday. And then, my weekend antics put me in proximity with smokers and stress, hence, i polished off a box and a half. I feel like...arse. Really nasty arse. My throat hurts and my lungs burn.
But i havent had one since sunday!
Tragedy is when I cut my finger
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.

-who said that???
morticia
Lance-Constable
Lance-Constable

Postby NorkNork » October 18th, 2005, 6:55 pm

Hmmmmm.......kyuu doesn't seem to be posting anymore...maybe he's died of not-lung cancer?
NorkNork
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby The Unadulterated Cat » June 28th, 2006, 6:04 pm

I can't stop talking when i give up. So I often get asked to start smoking again just to shut me up. My friends are so unsupportive.
You are utterly the stupidest, most self-centered, appallingest excuse for an anthropomorphic personification on this or any other plane!
Neil Gaiman's Death
The Unadulterated Cat
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Storyboard