Individual: Diary of a quitting smoker...

This is an off-topic forum for general discussion of plots, stories, films, roleplaying games and long quotes from stuff

Moderators: Findtherma, Lars Gimletscousin

Individual: Diary of a quitting smoker...

Postby kyuudousha » September 8th, 2005, 9:12 am

Okay then board members, the 'smokers' thread has got me to thinking. I have decided to give 'giving up' another go.

To make it more interesting though, and to hopefully put off any of you current and future board members who think it my be cool to start smoking, and, more importantly, to help me try to stick with it this time, I'm going to write a diary about my experiences with this and hopefully try to convey feelings, urges, difficulties and anything else that goes through my mind at the time on this board.

There are many reasons why I want to give up the weed despite my vehement argument for it in the smokers thread but the main reason is Jasmine, my daughter. I don't want her to lose her daddy before his time.

I know this sounds a bit melodramatic, however, perhaps if I supply some background information it will make it easier to understand. I am asthmatic and have been since birth. This is probably due to my parents being smokers when I was young. My father smoked 40 a day and my mother 20. They both gave up in 1980 but my father now has emphasimia (spelling?). I am also having extreme difficulties with my sinuses now and am waiting to go into hospital to have them drilled and drained, sounds charming doesn't it? Can't wait…

So, having said that, Q day starts today, Thursday 8th September at 10.06am...
:lol: Cuius testiculous habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum
kyuudousha
Lance-Corporal
Lance-Corporal

Postby kyuudousha » September 8th, 2005, 12:01 pm

Thursday 8th September 13:01

Perhaps I should have waited until tomorrow to give me a completely fresh start… :shock:

In all honesty this is the bit I've always found the easiest. The first day. Dunno about the other reformed smokers here but it gets difficult for me sometime around tomorrow morning.

Lunchtime: Checked ASH website. Thanks kron kron for the link. Apparently blood pressure and pulse rate are normal now. Cool. By the time I get home the nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood will be halved.

Lunch time over with and I managed to stay at my desk and not go for a smoke. WOOHOO! First blood to Kyu! This is easy this is.

Other smokers in office asking if I'm going for a smoke. So far no worries about saying "Not yet". By the end of the day I guess they'll realise I'm trying to stop. Not looking forward to journey home. Normally have three cigarettes in that hour. :cry:

Changed avatar because the expression on his face is how I'm starting to feel...
kyuudousha
Lance-Corporal
Lance-Corporal

Postby wizzard » September 8th, 2005, 1:42 pm

Good for you for giving it another go. We're all behind you. I know there isn't much we can say to help, but we're here as long as you want to post about it.

Martin
If you are interested in programming, take a look at my blog.
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Postby kyuudousha » September 8th, 2005, 2:20 pm

Please don't post here, can you see the 'comments' thread...
kyuudousha
Lance-Corporal
Lance-Corporal

Postby kyuudousha » September 9th, 2005, 6:56 am

07:50 The journey home was alright last night and managed to busy myself with odd jobs at home so's not to miss it. The journey into work this morning was interesting. Didn't feel too bad at all about missing the first 3 smokes of the day. Now that I'm at work though I can feel the twitch. Would be on 4th smoke by now. Sinuses feel better already. Not nearly as blocked as they were yesterday and I'm not sniffing as much.

Apparently Carbon Monoxide is almost eliminated from the body. And lungs start to clear out mucus and stuff. I'll keep my eye out for it.... :?

09:50 Looks like I've saved a fiver....

12:30 had a smoke.... :cry:

Got big tax bill, a few k, had a smoke, felt better for 30 secs or so then even more PO'ed. As an MA instructor should be able to exercise more self control than that. Nose blocked up to 8uggery and had to have a couple of puffs on Ventolin (which is my first since just after 10:30 yesterday). Nicotine rush made me go light headed like when you stand up too fast. Start again from now. This is definitely the most difficult part, about a day and half in. Still gone from 20 a day to 1 in last 26 hours. Not too bad. Will see what weekend holds. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
kyuudousha
Lance-Corporal
Lance-Corporal

Return to Storyboard