smokers.

This is a general relaxed area to eat, drink non-alcoholic beverages and chat about random topics.

Moderators: Findtherma, Lars Gimletscousin

Re: smokers.

Postby wizzard » July 22nd, 2008, 10:37 am

Pretty_Blossom wrote:What people do in their own homes is their own business imo.

So you don't mind people murdering, as long as they do it in their own home?

Martin
If you are interested in programming, take a look at my blog.
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Postby Pretty_Blossom » July 22nd, 2008, 3:57 pm

hmmm... bad phrasing. let's try again:
what people do to themselves without hurting anybody else (which means, when drunk, not trying to drive or get into fights or hitting the wife ect.), is their own business.
It's amazing what other people find offensive even when someone is sitting alone at home and not bothering anybody else.
Yasmin ;-)

Istanzia

"I have boobs, you must obay"
Pretty_Blossom
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby wizzard » July 23rd, 2008, 12:48 pm

What about suicide?

Martin
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Postby Applewoodtree » July 23rd, 2008, 2:54 pm

Right, I have to say something that I don't think many people will agree with, but I see absolutely no problem with suicide as long as it's done discreetly and with minimum stress to the people who find it (of course there will be a lot of stress already, no need to make more). If someone wants to die, then why shouldn't they? If they don't think their life is worth living then it's up to them whether they want to live or die. They might make the wrong decision, they might die and then later in their life something might have happened to radically change that, but there is no way of knowing that, at all. And the other way around, say they just stick it out in the hope that something better comes along, and nothing does, then what was the use? To me, living a miserable life is not at all preferable to death, and if someone wants to make that decision then it's up to them. I don't agree with people using suicide as an attention seeking thing, and I don't agree with people doing overly dramatic things like throwing themselves under trains and off buildings, as then it causes lots of problems for people who aren't even involved with the person, and much more stress and upset to their family...

That's just my two pennies worth...
Join Me (Not Me, but Danny) and make the world a better better place! It'll be fun! Join Me!!!

You look lovely today, by the way!
Applewoodtree
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby wizzard » July 23rd, 2008, 3:57 pm

Not that I'm an expert in this or anything, but I suspect that most people who commit suicide have either got a temporary situation that they would get over to a certain extent with time, such as bereavement, or they have a treatable psychological illness. I agree that there are a number of people out there who eg. fall into the category of having a terminal illness which is very painful and want to get it over with, but I'm not really talking about them (although personally I'm not sure that it is right for them to commit suicide either, but I don't want to ever be at all involved with a situation like that and I can see both sides of the argument).

If I'm right then most suicidal people have at least an opportunity to live a happy life, possibly for a long time afterwards, and it seems terrible to me to throw that away because for a relatively short space of time they felt that they wanted to kill themselves.

Martin
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Postby Pretty_Blossom » July 23rd, 2008, 6:16 pm

I think there's no such thing as a soul, and therefor the physical body is all anybody has. When that body is finished, the person is finished. I also believe that every person is unique (even identical twins aren't all that identical), and unique is always valuable (yes, farscape fan here). Taking a life, any life, is the biggest crime in my book. The only 2 reasons I'm willing to accept are 1) the person that is killed is going to commit murder and there's no other way to stop them; 2) the person is in such physical pain that they can't distract themselves with books, TV, music, art, just thinking about the universe.
Any other case is an evil act and nothing in the world would make it count as good in my book.
That includes capital punishment - if they already caught the guy they can lock him up for as long as he lives, there's no reason to kill him anymore.
Of course, all that being said, I wholly support the Darwin Awards http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2008.html
Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed...
Yasmin ;-)

Istanzia

Pretty_Blossom
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby Findtherma » July 28th, 2008, 3:35 pm

I'm speaking as someone who's had a family member (aunt) commit suicide.

Suicide never just effects the person killing themselves. It is a selfish, cowardly act and the people who suffer for it are those of us left behind.

And there is no way to do it "discreetly and with minimum stress to the people who find it." No matter what method they use to kill themselves. The people who are close to that person will find them. And the fact that they did it to themselves will be obvious. It leaves many unanswered and often terrible questions. "Is it my fault? Why didn't I see the signs? Could I have done something?" Its bad enough when you are bereaved, but its alot worse when someone you know and/or love has berieved you on purpose.

My aunt killed herself nearly 20 years ago and my cousin, her daughter, has never recovered from it.

Oh, and those Darwin awards smell of fascism to me.

J
“When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews, You are talking anti-Semitism.” -Martin Luther King Jr
Findtherma
Captain
Captain

Postby Pretty_Blossom » July 29th, 2008, 4:28 pm

I agree with you re suicide, I think if someone's at the end of their tether they should make it known - their loved ones might be able to help them recover.

Re - Darwin Awards - it's just a joke, and none of the people there has tried to kill themselves on purpose. Accidents do happen, but I have little sympathy to those that do stupid things on purpose, and not even in a scientifical methode. People should take care of themselves better. If not, they might at least make me laugh while they're at it.
Yasmin ;-)

Istanzia

Pretty_Blossom
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby Findtherma » July 29th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Fair enough. I was in a bad mood when I read that and failed to see the funny side at the time.

Looking back at it now I must admit to chuckling a little. :lol:

J
“When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews, You are talking anti-Semitism.” -Martin Luther King Jr
Findtherma
Captain
Captain

Postby Pretty_Blossom » July 30th, 2008, 5:31 pm

looking over the site I think the mythbusters took it apart pretty well. Appearantly you can't actually lift a grown human being with regular baloons - too many needed.
I remember the movie - Jamie and Adam guest-starred there selling the rocket-car guy some rockets. They busted that one too in their show. Still - as far as internet rumors go those are pretty funny.
Yasmin ;-)

Istanzia

Pretty_Blossom
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby kyuudousha » June 21st, 2011, 10:16 pm

Ha! Damn smokers stinking the place out. As a non smoker I think that the NHS shouldn't treat them! That'll learn them... :P and I don't miss it at all even after 3 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, 37 minutes and 12 no 13, sorry 14 er 15 seconds.... :mrgreen:
:lol: Cuius testiculous habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum
kyuudousha
Lance-Corporal
Lance-Corporal

Previous

Return to Coffee Room