The reason why Bezeq is evil

This is the Evil Discussion Board. Not quasi-evil, not semi-evil, not the Diet Coke of evil. Only truly evil people may enter.

Moderators: The_Bad_Man, Findtherma, Lars Gimletscousin

The reason why Bezeq is evil

Postby Pretty_Blossom » March 23rd, 2008, 7:11 pm

For the non-israelies here (everybody but me) - Bezeq is the name of the national israeli phone company, which also branches out to internet supplier and stuff like that.
This is going to be a long rant that involves many things and people (names obscured because nobody here knows them anyway). If you feel that you can't wistand the force of my ranting (symptoms includ drowsiness and falling asleep in front of the computer), feel free to disregard everything and settle for the conclution:
Bezeq is evil

OK - here goes:
in order for you to understand the story, I need to mention the fact that I live in a small village type of a place and the phone-system here is routed through a central hub. It's not a direct line - it's kinda like those business routers, only there's no LAN connection here. Instead, there's something else, that is a central router for phone calls, and a 2nd router for internet connection (seperated from the 1st and serves a different function).
The place where I grew up in and still live in during the weekends has the same arrangement, but better quality of connection wires, cheaper prices for the router, and faster speed. Never mind - I have to live at my grandmother's house in this little village because it's closer to work (15 minuts instead of 2 hours drive each morning).
1) My grandmother has Alzheimer's and can't take care of herself. She has been moved out of her appartment to a nursing home next door, where she can be cared for properly all the time. The appartment has stayed empty for a while, except for alternate weekends when the whole family comes and visits for a few hours. 2 of my uncles are paying the rent on the appartment so these gatherings could be held in a familiar and safe enviorment for her. When I got the job I moved in because it was empty.
2) I wanted internet connection - I can't really do without one for a whole week. I asked the people at the village how to get one. I've been informed of 2 options (the man said 2 options, it's not like I asked or anything): firstly, there's the village's internet connection, costing 3 times as much as my old connection and about a 3rd of the speed; Then there's Bezeq - a direct connection, still a 3rd of the speed but only twice the price and also it's a direct connection - better downloads.
3) I went for the obious choice - bezeq - cheaper (at first glance), more direct and doesn't require me to share with the rest of the village (like the old connection does). I say that to the man and he says "no problems", and then says I have to sign a bunch of forms and get premission from the head of the village.
4) I call the head of the village, he says I have to get the premission of my uncle, who lives in the USA and can only be contaced during weekends due to timelag. Turns out that when agreeing to keep the phone-line open, uncle made a deal that nothing else would be connected. Wait 2 weeks for premission from uncle to get all the way to guy in charge of internet.
5) Got premission, next step sign papers. Something in paper about the village not being responsible for distance problems, and having to install a bezeq line instead of the village one I've been using. I sign and deliver forms back.
6) Got the village's premission, now ordering new line from Bezeq, along with new internet connection and a password. Only knew about the 2nd thing when I entered into it, and price went up accordingly. Still - total new price is about 120nis, which is about double what they said in the begining, but still acceptible if they deliver the decent connection that I pay so much for. (village's connection costs 90nis, and the old connection I had cost 30nis per month). Order line and modem, and wait for them to install.
7) The new line gets installed 3 days from order confirmation date, and modem gets to village at same time. Problem - I'm working all day and can't pick it up. Solution - got a couple of friends of my parents living next door - they said they'd pick the modem up for me.
8) Waiting for friends to pick up the modem - takes the whole weekend and another day to get it because of misunderstanding about location of package (it's too big for the mailbox, so it has to be picked up from secretary and they didn't listen all that well when I said so).
9) Got modem, find out that phoneline in back room where computer is isn't working. Asks father to fix it next time he's here (2 weeks from now) and meanwhile looking for extention wire for the modem to the living-room (can't move the computer - the table is too bulky).
10) Gets the longer network wire and find out that now modem is out of reach to nearest power socket. Another day lost hunting down power extention cord.
11) Everything is set up (in a precarious way - there are cables all through the house). Sitting in front of computer and installing the disc. Waiting for modem to connect.
12) No connection - calling the service line and get put on hold ("bezeq - we're here for you" for about 15 minuts before somebody picks up - pretty annoyed now). I ask what's the matter, they say that they never set up my connection because I didn't complain. It's about a week after the modem was delived. Setting up takes the morning shift and can't be done today.
13) next day - all set up, or so they tell me, and still no connection. The ADSL light on the modem blinks. Another call to service (another 15 minuts wait), and the responce is that they'll send a technitian the next day.
14) Next day getting call from the technitian - modem is still blinking even at lower speed than what I bought because of "distance" problems. Can't fix it because it's the village's responsibility. No internet possible.
15) At the verge of tears, I cancell everything - I was willing to pay quite a lot of money for this line, and it won't work. Bezeq says - ok, bring back the modem to a service point.
16) Bringing back the modem to the service point - working all day and can't take the time off to go there except at evening - they only open every other day and this isn't it. Next day is thursday - last day of work-week here and planning to catch train and go home afterwards.
17) Going to service point (not that easy to find), and find out that only 2 clerks are there on the afternoon and about 20 different people in line. Everybosy says only a moment, but everybody takes forever. Sitting and waiting for over an hour to just give back the modem, because appearantly I can't just drop it off.
18) Eventually my turn, and then have to wait another 10 minuts for clerk to fix everything so I don't have to pay for the damn thing. Also disconnecting the new line that I had to buy for the connection. Not her fault, she's just a clerk, but Bezeq could have put some more people there to handle the croud.

Thus ends the Bezeq saga - they promised something, charged a lot of money for it and then didn't deliver, and also made me wait a whole lot of time to get service. As I said - evil.

2nd part (for those who have managed to stay awake and actually read this rant):
Having given up on Bezeq (for being pure evil), I say to internet guy at the village - let's get your connection (not that I have a choice). Takes further week to get modem from him, and then finally I have internet connection. Problem of "distance" still not fully resolved and causing disconnection all the time.
Distance is actually saying that the phone wires have been installed some 30 years ago and haven't gotten maitenance since. This is the village's responsibility, and they should solve it. Of course, the village doesn't have any money for those kinds of repairs. Now I complain and wait to see what they do next.

Thus ends the internet saga and the why Bezeq is evil rant. Well done for reading so far - you deserve a medal.
Yasmin ;-)

Istanzia

"I have boobs, you must obay"
Pretty_Blossom
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Re: The reason why Bezeq is evil

Postby wizzard » March 23rd, 2008, 11:17 pm

Pretty_Blossom wrote:For the non-israelies here (everybody but me) - Bezeq is the name of the national israeli phone company, which also branches out to internet supplier and stuff like that.

Actually, to be pedantic, I'm not Israeli (yet), but I do know who Bezeq are.

I have had similar problems with British Telecom in the past, although if it really is the Kibbutz's responsibility to maintain the lines then it sounds like a big problem! Good luck getting it sorted.

Martin
If you are interested in programming, take a look at my blog.
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Postby Pretty_Blossom » March 24th, 2008, 4:32 pm

Nice that you know, having relatives here. I could never get that interested in the infrastructure of another country, even if my family was there. The only way I'd hear about it is if it was making troubles. If it was working fine, I'd never even know...

How much does it cost these days to dig up and replace such a large area's wiring? Include the TV cables in the bargin since they're acting up too.
Yasmin ;-)

Istanzia

Pretty_Blossom
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby wizzard » March 24th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Pretty_Blossom wrote:How much does it cost these days to dig up and replace such a large area's wiring? Include the TV cables in the bargin since they're acting up too.

I wouldn't know, especially since prices in Israel aren't likely to be the same as here, and it probably depends a lot on where they run and what is on top of them. If the kibbutz has any agricultural equipment, maybe they could dig it up themselves and just pay someone to lay the cable?

Martin
If you are interested in programming, take a look at my blog.
wizzard
Commander
Commander

Postby Pretty_Blossom » March 25th, 2008, 4:21 pm

this place doesn't have those kinds of digger machines. The tunnles exist, anyway, it's just opening them up (after some had roads built on them, or houses) and replacing the wires. Expensive, in a place where it's mostly every one for himself. Oh, well - it's better here now since the guy did something at the central switchboard. No random disconnection for the time being.
Yasmin ;-)

Istanzia

Pretty_Blossom
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby The_Bad_Man » March 25th, 2008, 7:19 pm

I used to work for BT (British Telecom) as a repair advisor. I can tell you now, that i've seen cable laying jobs over several miles cost into the region of half a million and higher. I've also seen jobs cost alot less. Depends whether it's over head cabeling, underground cabling, what type of cabling, if it goes through people property, goverment land. Either way it's a big job. People tend to say daft things like, "well they only have to dig up the cabling", which I can tell you from experience is a massive job. If ever anything had to be dug up, I know the eta would go into the months region.
You can get more with a kind word and a gun
Than you can with just a kind word

Eagles may soar high,
but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
The_Bad_Man
Captain
Captain

Location: England, Rotherham near Sheffield in South yorkshire

Postby Pretty_Blossom » March 26th, 2008, 6:22 pm

figured as much. The land is all goverment land leased to the kibbutz for living in, and basically it's the kibbutz' choice what to do in it. Still - money is tight and I doubt they'll do it.
Yasmin ;-)

Istanzia

Pretty_Blossom
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Return to Evil