Happy Easter!

You can post stuff here that is completely unrelated to Terry Pratchett or The Discworld

Moderators: Findtherma, Lars Gimletscousin

Postby Isil » April 28th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Greebo 61 wrote:What do Finns call them?

Ä and ö. They are just letters among others, they don't need any special "group name" simply because there happen to be some dots above.

Russians still keep Shrovetide, and eat lots of pancakes, the ingredients of which would probably have been easier to get hold of.

Ordinary pancakes or blinis? And if blinis, do they put melted butter, sour cream, chopped onion and fish eggs on them like we do in Finland?
"Silloin tuuli lumoavan soiton meren takaa toi, kun Muikkunen se kesän poukamassa musisoi..."
Isil
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Greebo 61 » May 3rd, 2007, 10:43 am

Germans call those letters the same as you Finns, but they still have a name for the diacritic, ie an umlaut.
I'm not sure what Russians have with their pancakes at Shrovetide, though I believe the possibilities are numerous, and probably include those fillings.
Greebo 61
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Isil » May 3rd, 2007, 6:45 pm

I was just wondering whether they are the traditional blinis made of buckwheat flour or some sweeter, more dessert-like thing. Because in Finland the blinis are a special Shrovetide thing that aren't eaten at any other time of the year, but as far as I've understood the Russians eat them the year round.
"Silloin tuuli lumoavan soiton meren takaa toi, kun Muikkunen se kesän poukamassa musisoi..."
Isil
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Greebo 61 » May 4th, 2007, 9:09 am

Unfortunately I missed the Maslinitsa (Shrovetide) celebrations, but I've just checked with some Russian colleagues-they eat the same pancakes as at other times; I guess they just eat more of them!!
How long is Shrovetide in Finland?-I don't really remember it being a big thing when I was there. Does everyone celebrate it, or only the religiously-inclined?
Greebo 61
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Isil » May 4th, 2007, 4:33 pm

What, you didn't notice the mountains of laskiaispulla being sold in every grocery store? Admittedly shrovetide officially lasts only three days - and of them only the sunday and tuesday are actually any kind of celebration days - but the selling of the special "pulla" filled with whipped cream and either marzipan or jam starts weeks beforehand. And in all kinds of magazines there are different recipes for blini and discussions about the ever interesting question whether marzipan or jam is better inside the pulla and which one is the original, "right" filling (in our family I'm the only member of the marzipan party, both my husband and son prefer jam. Bloody traitors).

Laskiainen (=shrovetide) isn't actually very religious thing here since the long fast was abandoned during the Lutheran reform in the 16th century and has only recently seen a kind of tiny renaissance. Without the fast ahead there isn't much reason for people to stuff themselves beforehand, but because eating is fun, the food traditions have lived on anyway. And so has the tradition of gathering together and going sledding (the people wearing overalls are uni or polytechnic students. Almost every student organisation has it's own overalls which are usually worn at every bigger student occasion). In the olden times people used to shout things like "long flaxes" when speeding down the hill and it was believed that the longer the your slide the longer the flaxes grew the next summer. Nowadays the traditional "spells" are still sometimes shouted but simply for fun.
Isil
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby glorfindel » May 18th, 2007, 7:49 pm

happy easter :roll: :shock:
Life is what you make it.

So thats my fault as well then................
glorfindel
Corporal
Corporal

Previous

Return to General