Assasin gadgets..

You can post stuff here that is completely unrelated to Terry Pratchett or The Discworld

Moderators: Findtherma, Lars Gimletscousin

Assasin gadgets..

Postby Lars Gimletscousin » January 6th, 2007, 7:59 pm

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but what sort of items (not James bond or anything like that) do people think Assasins and hitmen might use?

Are there any sites that have info like that, that sort of thing..
Lars Gimletscousin
Captain
Captain

Postby The_Bad_Man » January 6th, 2007, 10:04 pm

.... I really would like an explanation as to why you are asking this.

But to try and somewhat answer your question. I suppose it depends on what type of assassin were talking about it. I two bit hitman might own a gun and thats it. After all if the person dosn't have a bodyguard how hard is it to just sit in a car wait for the guy to come out and just shout him.

However the assassin who has to work to kill his target might have to be a bit more creative. Such a device as a car bomb is invaluable, it gets at a person when there unawares. Many people just leave there vehicles in plain sight, all as it takes is a bit of skill with demolitions and the next time the poor sucka starts there car they get fried.

But you did ask what gadgets an assassin might use, i suppose my previous suggestions are more in the catagory of weaponary. In terms of gadets i suppose were going into the realms of reconnicence, finding out about the mark. Well in that case, equipment for tapping people phones, microphones (bugging) are all standard equipment. Been a bit more basic a good ole pair of binoculars never goes amiss.

.... thats all i can think of at the moment... and be bothered to write. If you want to get a bit more of a feel for the role, i don't know of any websites, however i recommend watching the film Matador. Or if you like computer games, pick up something like Hitman, Hitman 2 or Hitman contracts.
The_Bad_Man
Captain
Captain

Location: England, Rotherham near Sheffield in South yorkshire

Postby Lars Gimletscousin » January 6th, 2007, 10:12 pm

I'm talking more of the up close and personal killings, IE:- a wire which is made out into a necklace so people don't know it's a weapon, that sort of thing.

And i'm asking this question, because of a Roleplaying character of mine is playing an assasin, and I want some ideas..
Lars Gimletscousin
Captain
Captain

Postby The_Bad_Man » January 7th, 2007, 11:41 am

Lars Gimletscousin wrote:I'm talking more of the up close and personal killings, IE:- a wire which is made out into a necklace so people don't know it's a weapon, that sort of thing.

And i'm asking this question, because of a Roleplaying character of mine is playing an assasin, and I want some ideas..

Figured as much... ok up close and personal. Well i don't know about a necklace been a weapon, however the fibre wire in the watch is always a classic. Although it is slightly 'bond' brief cases are an infamous way of hiding any number of hidden items. A slit knife is very very thin and could be concealed in the actual frame of a brief case. That said the Navy Seals have a concealed knife in their belt or more precisly the buckle. A pretty handy tool actuall the buckle opens up and the catch mechanism is actually a punch knife.

A real classic idea if you think your that good is the pearl ring, i'm referring to the same ring used by Morgan Le Fay. In short the peal is actually hollow and contained inside it is a lethal poison. A bit of skill is sleight of hand the pearl opens the poison drips out into someones drink and they then convulse and die.

Also just in reverence of the actual discworld books, probably the greatest concealed weapon ever was carried by Granny Weatherwax. Hair pins can be very long and very sharp.

Of course all of this is illrelevant really as the greatest tool/weapon/gadget in an assassins arsenal is his own wit/cunning/guilde and charm. You ain't got any of the former the latter is pretty useless.

Happy hunting.
The_Bad_Man
Captain
Captain

Postby NorkNork » January 7th, 2007, 1:18 pm

Definitely grapple hooks! If you're a classic assassin you're gonna have to do some climbing, so you'll need grapple hooks and preferably some kind of weapon that shoots them.

As for weapons: (Poisoned) throwing knives, poisoned darts, maybe a high-precision crossbow ...

Lockpicks are also nice, as well as something like a really sharp knife or a diamond to cut glass with.
NorkNork
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby sam_vimes » January 10th, 2007, 2:35 pm

watch mission impossible 1 and two.
play hitman (anything is good but contracts is the one i liked the most as it is a bit more lifelike)
play splinter cell for technology.

if you can make a necklace out of fibre wire then your off to a good start. wrist knives, while being slightly cu,bersome are hidden. and a hat with sharpened pennies sewn into the brim seems as good an idea as any.
When you can see the colour of their panties, you know you've got talent.
sam_vimes
Corporal
Corporal

Postby The_Bad_Man » January 10th, 2007, 5:25 pm

sam_vimes wrote:play hitman (anything is good but contracts is the one i liked the most as it is a bit more lifelike)
play splinter cell for technology.

Yeah, I mentioned hitman already. Splinter cell is something i forgot though, leaning more on the counter operative side it does have it's moments. The technology in it is slightly inspiring, if your particularly rich and can afford stuff like that.

Couple of more things that come to mind, a walking stick or umbrella with a blade in has it's uses. The umbrella is a little less cliched than the walking stick though. Taking from Bond, the dagger boots were funny and somewhat functional.
The_Bad_Man
Captain
Captain

Postby Errol » January 12th, 2007, 3:58 pm

My brother had a book thats written for people who play them as characters RPG's from when he was at university. Brilliant little book from what i remember with lots of real life information in it about real life assassins and the sorts of weapons that have been used by them thoroughout history.
Dunno if the book is still in print or if he even still has it as im going back about 10 years or so but i'll drop him an email and find out. Even if he doesn't have it he might still remember what it's called so you can see if you can source a copy maybe from your local library or something.

EDIT Swear im getting worse, missed out whole chucks of sentences whilst writting this. My hands just can't keep up with what my brains telling them to type lol.

. . . I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch . . .
Errol
Sergeant-at-Arms
Sergeant-at-Arms

Postby The_Bad_Man » January 13th, 2007, 9:19 am

Errol wrote:EDIT Swear im getting worse, missed out whole chucks of sentences whilst writting this. My hands just can't keep up with what my brains telling them to type lol.

Sounds like you need to learn how to touch type. For me it's the othe way round, i type faster than i think, so when i finish the post i get to read back and see what i was going to say and think how witty i am.... j/k

Also lars i've been having a think of some other things that may inspire you to assassin gadgetary. Although there are many espionarge role playing games out there, not many of them are actually any good at gadgets, however there is one in particular that comes to mind that has a list of kits and weaponary etc approx 80 pages long. I am of course referring to the only D20 game i actually even remotly like, Spycraft.

I'd ask around and see if anyone has got it, as buying it is rather expensive, the book itself is over 400 pages and so costs a tidy sum (£30).
The_Bad_Man
Captain
Captain

Postby Sarah_K_O_M » February 9th, 2007, 7:07 pm

Well, I played all Hitman games, well my brother did, so I'd say fibre (fiber?) wire and a really BIG shotgun. :mrgreen
Now the time is here, for Iron man to spread fear.
Vengeance from the grave, Kills the people he once saved.
Sarah_K_O_M
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Slippery Jim D'Griz » February 14th, 2007, 9:22 pm

Can't go wrong with a good dagger can you? Or a blow-pipe could be cool!
Slippery Jim D'Griz
Corporal
Corporal

Postby melmite » February 14th, 2007, 11:52 pm

How about seasonal poison-tipped Cupid's arrows? :twisted:
melmite
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Lars Gimletscousin » February 15th, 2007, 8:11 pm

Sarah_K_O_M wrote:Well, I played all Hitman games, well my brother did, so I'd say fibre (fiber?) wire and a really BIG shotgun. :mrgreen:

the fibre wire is the perfect type of thing, can keep it concealed somehow.. but just don't go through metal detectors, the shotgun not really a hitman style weapon,, i'm thinking about a sniper rifle, it's not so loud
NorkNork wrote:or a diamond to cut glass with.

how would i get away with carrying a diomand,,, unless i used it as a ring,, but that wouldn't be inconspicuous.
Lars Gimletscousin
Captain
Captain

Postby The_Bad_Man » February 16th, 2007, 10:07 am

Lars Gimletscousin wrote:
the fibre wire is the perfect type of thing, can keep it concealed somehow.. but just don't go through metal detectors, the shotgun not really a hitman style weapon,, i'm thinking about a sniper rifle, it's not so loud

I'd be careful on that one, sniper riles still make quite alot of noise even if silenced. You just can't fire a piece of metal that big, at that velocity and not have it made silent by some plastic tubing. Funnily enough if were going into long range weapon that don't make much noise, I heavily suggest a gat-gun, a big rifle that fires a dart instead of a bullet. They use gas to be powered and so are silent, don't have the same range, but if they go into someone and have been coated with a neural toxin, person is as good as dead anyway.
The_Bad_Man
Captain
Captain

Postby sam_vimes » March 6th, 2007, 2:45 pm

you can take fibre wire through metal detectors.. it doesnt have to be made of metal. you could use fishing wire or something of the like.
When you can see the colour of their panties, you know you've got talent.
sam_vimes
Corporal
Corporal

Return to General